Tuesday, January 6

It wasn't that great after all

I hate Kite Runner.


And no, I don't mean the oh-my-god-I-have-to-study-this-for-English-THIS-BOOK-SUCKS kind of hate.



I just simply don't like it.



With everyone else gushing happily about how great/touching/impacting the book is, this sort of makes me sound like a total idiot.
I just find the book unnecessasrily depressing, draggy, and I'm not content with the ending.
(I read about a quarter of the book yesterday and it put me in a decidedly gloomy mood for the rest of the night)



I feel so cheated okay.
Having spent so much time reading it, I expected at least an ending with some closure.
I wasn't exactly looking for a happily-ever-after ending, but still!

I don't see Amir paying the price of his mistake.
I expected him to be plagued with the guilt or something.
Everyone dies in the end, and the conflict isn't even resolved.

IT WAS LEFT HANGING IN THE AIR.



I guess with all the big hooha over it, much as I tried not to, I held high expectations for it.
And inevitably, it let me down.



It's probably supposed to be those artsy open endings where you are to glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel but not reach the end of the tunnel (does that even make sense?), but that just doesn't work for me.
I don't like books where I have to guess and analyse alot of things by myself (NO it's not because I'm lazy) because in the end, people tend to over-analyse and come up with a stupid conclusion that the author had not even intended.


Much like Shakespere. (and poems too actually)
He probably did not mean for all those insignificant little plot points to be discussed as a 1000 word essay.
He was just writting a bloody play for enjoyment.


Sometimes, I wonder why I even took Lit when I'm so pessimistic about it.





On a lighter note, I went out on a romantic date with Irene today! :D
So we watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button at Glen.
Initially, the beginning almost made me fall asleep, but after the introduction, it was good!
It turned out to be much longer than I thought, (abut 2.5hours) considering it's a movie made from a short story.


It's actually quite sad, that Brad Pitt became younger and younger, while Cate Blanchett aged year by year so much so that eventually, she became an old woman and he was a baby.
I'm very amused with the makeup they used though hahahahahaha they managed to make Cate old and Brad Pitt really young! (He looked nothing older than 16 years old in his last scene!)




Now I feel like watching more more more movies! :D



--


I'm sorry, but sometimes I feel like I'm a grain of sand in your eye. An irritant. Maybe I really am. But I can't... let go again. We've come so far from those times 3 years ago.

No comments: